Feel the wildlife of the Rainforest in east Canada by staying in the Great Bear Lodge. You can reach the completely self-contained floating Lodge by airplane from Port Hardy. The Great Bear Lodge is located at an outstanding wildlife viewing location, in the last great unspoiled nature sanctuary of North America. It belongs to one of the most popular places in the world to observe grizzly bears. Beside the grizzlies you can also observe other animals like wolfs and eagles in their natural habitat.
The Great Bear Lodge in the wilderness of Canada (©panoramio.com)
Here you can still watch grizzlies in their natural habitat (©sktouristik.de)
Equipment of the Great Bear Lodge
The simple furnished Great Bear Lodge offers eight double bedrooms with a shared bathroom in the corridor. The power for warm water and light is totally generated by wind and sun energy. After an personal tour of the owner through the spectacular wilderness you will enjoy a great gourment meal together. The Lodge only uses local and organic products, especially fresh salmon from the river. The Great Bear Lodge offers a cozy and comfortable common area where you can relax with a glas of wine and listen to the exciting stories of the owner about the wilderness.
The lodge is simple but comfortable furnished
The comfortable interior of the Great Bear Lodge (©coloradomountaingetaways.com)
The Grizzly Bear Tour
The Great Bear Lodge is only open from early May till late October. It is possible to join one of the the grizzly bear observing tours for two up to seven days. The tour will start in Port Hardy and also end there. A 4-day trip costs about 1330- 2400 Euro per person and varying by season. The tour includes the following:
- A experienced wildlife biologist who will guide two grizzly bear observing sessions per day
- Accommodation in a private room at the Great Bear Lodge
- A Wilderness-gourmet cooked with local ingredient
- Discussions with experienced wildlife biologist
- Several nature activities such as interpretive walks, kayak excursions or wildlife viewing
- To and Back flight from Port Hardy to the Great Bear Lodge
- Rain coats and boots on request as well as observing gear
Have fun on your trip!